Relationship therapy has been proven to be a very effective tool for mending and saving a broken marriage that may be on the brink of divorce. If you are struggling to hold on to a collapsing marriage, relationship therapy can be your saving grace. First, you should be open and willing to believe that relationship therapy can be something you and your marriage can benefit from.
Reasons Why Couples Seek Therapy
It is much better to be proactive and tackle any problems in your marriage early before they turn into something that becomes far more difficult to overcome. Many couples mistakenly believe that relationship therapy isn’t going to benefit them because their problems just aren’t “that bad”. Reality is, you don’t have to be on the brink of leaving or in the middle of an affair to still benefit from relationship therapy.
On the other end, you also have people who just feel there is no sense in receiving therapy because they feel their relationship is just too far gone. This is just not true. It does not matter if your marital problems are simple or complex. If there is an issue within your marriage, big or small, relationship therapy is a helpful option. Some of the common reasons why couples seek relationship therapy include:
- Communication problems
- Lack of connection (emotional and physical)
- Intimacy problems
- Infidelity/ affair
- Lack of trust
- Discussing money
- Blended family problems
- Brink of divorce
These are just some of the most common reasons why couples seek therapy and the list can go on and on. There is no problem too small that cannot be worked out with the help of relationship therapy guided by a trained psychotherapist.
Why Relationship Therapy Helps A Marriage
Relationship therapy is the best tool to have to assist you in your journey to a strong and better marriage. There are many different areas that are positively impacted when you make the great choice of seeking relationship therapy.
- Improves communication skills: During therapy, a therapist can help couples explore different styles of communication and teach you better and more effective ways to communicate with each other. Communication is the most important key in a healthy marriage. When a relationship is stressed, negative communication patterns tend to happen. It increasingly becomes difficult to have a productive conversation where you can find solutions to a problem. In counseling you get the support to hear each other and learn how to be responsive to what your partner is saying.
- Become close to each other again: Many couples go to a therapist because they feel as though their marriage has hit a slump. They just don’t feel as emotionally or physically close as they once did. This is not an uncommon problem, but it is a cause for concern as it can lead to other, much bigger, issues like infidelity. A good therapist can help you move from this road clock in your relationship and work on ways to strengthen the intimacy and bond between you and your partner.
- Get past an affair: The effects of an affair on a marriage can be devastating. Infidelity and unfaithfulness can be a very hurtful and damaging thing that a couple goes through, but it does not have to mean the relationship is over. Relationship therapy provides a comfortable and healing space where a couple can voice opinions and get to the root of the problem so that they can begin a journey towards resolution. Part of a solid relationship between two people is being able to trust one another. After trust has been broken, it may feel like the relationship is unsalvageable. Relationship experts know how couples can still be successful in overcoming trials such as this.
- Build trust: Being able to depend on your partner and trust that they will be there and do the right thing can be difficult for some people, especially if they have exhibited untrustworthiness in the past. Therapists a great in helping couples move past the hurt and begin the process of building trust with one another again.
You don’t have to go it alone
Depression, sadness, anxiety disorders, stress, and worry can make it difficult to find happiness in your life. We all need support at different times in our lives. Most of our clients seek help when their current way of dealing with life’s challenges no longer works for them. With a caring, non-judgmental and solution-focused approach, we will explore your issues and challenges in a safe therapeutic environment at our private practice in Delray Beach, Florida.
We also offer remote online therapy from the comfort and security of home that will allow you to learn more effective ways of managing your anxiety and stress.
Let’s walk the path to freedom from depression and anxiety together. If you’re ready to let go of the sadness, depression, fears, worries, and anxieties that are making life difficult, check out our Anxiety & Depression Support Group hosted the 1st Tuesday of each month at the Counseling Center for Growth and Recovery.