A panic disorder is an anxiety disorder that causes sudden feelings of terror and panic when there is no actual danger around. A panic attack can happen at any time, anywhere, and may even have no warning. The physical symptoms of a panic attack can include:
- Chest and stomach pain
- Weakness and/or dizziness
- Quickened heartbeat
- Tingling and numb hands
- Feeling cold chills and hot
According to NIH, there are four clinical types of panic disorders:
Type I: a single panic attack is the only symptom, type II: only panic attacks occur frequently without any accompanying neurotic or depressive symptoms, type III: a recurrence of panic attacks and the gradual development of neurotic symptoms, such as anticipatory anxiety, generalized anxiety, agoraphobia, or hypochondriasis, type IV: depressive symptoms develop in the course of recurring panic attacks.
Many people live in constant fear of having the next panic attack since there are no apparent warning signs. For some, it can even take over their whole lives, making them fear to leave their home and to become isolated. The good news is that most people get better with the help of treatment. With the use of online therapy for panic disorders, you can learn how to recognize and change patterns of thinking that lead to a panic attack.
Online Counseling for Treating Panic Attacks
Virtual treatment for panic disorders via an internet connection, telephone, video call, etc. is gaining a lot of popularity recently and includes the use of any electronic communication to receive treatment from a therapist without visiting a doctor in person. There are many promising reasons to why teletherapy is beneficial and why you should give it a try for your panic disorder.
Effective, evidence-based treatments for panic disorder can easily be taught and applied in the comfort and safety of your online therapy sessions. During this process, you will better understand the physiology, thinking, and behaviors that occur before, during, and after a panic episode. You will come away with this better understanding of what drives your fear and panic, and you will learn and get to practice specific strategies for reducing and eventually eliminating panic attacks altogether.
- In light of everything we are facing right now due to the coronavirus outbreak, staying physically and mentally healthy is the most important benefit to telemedicine. During a time when social distancing is crucial, face-to-face therapy is not really an option. Teletherapy for counseling services can be very beneficial to your mental health and also your physical health.
- For people with panic disorders that include other symptoms like social anxiety or other psychological limitations, teletherapy counseling allows them to stay in the comfort of their own home and alleviates some of the stress or anxiety they may feel with going to an actual office. It adds a level of approachability to the situation.
- It is beneficial to those with panic disorders but live in a more rural setting where mental health services may not be as available. You may not have even considered getting therapy as an option before teletherapy because it wasn’t a resource you had until recently. You can meet with a therapist anywhere and get the help you need.
A big trigger for panic attacks when are dealing with panic disorders is stress. Due to these recent and uncertain times when it comes to COVID–19, stress is at an all-time high for a lot of people. You shouldn’t have to suffer because the world has shut down. Your life hasn’t stopped and with the help of teletherapy for your panic disorder, you can learn to live a productive life again. Online teletherapy offers the same benefits that you would get from face to face therapy.
You don’t have to go it alone
With offering online counseling, we can reach more people, for whatever reason they have, and they can get the help they need. Life can be very challenging and we all need support from time to time. For any mental health concerns, online counseling can be a great approach for you. At the Counseling Center for Growth and Recovery, we offer a solution-motivated approach where we can explore, in a safe way, your challenges in life.
We also offer remote online therapy from the comfort and security of home that will allow you to learn more effective ways of managing your anxiety, depression, or relationship problems.